Friday, December 7, 2007

Prompt 40A: My Parent's Saying/Canon Muses

One of your parents said something to you that you'll never forget. What was it? Was it positive or negative?

"We only part, to meet again."

These were the words my father left me with with I first decided to leave Croatia. Words that I in turn bestowed on Carter when he made the decision to leave County for Africa and the life he hoped he would find with Kem.

It wasn't that my father was happy about my decision to leave Croatia, but, unlike Niko, he understood that I needed to do it in order to find the life I was sure no longer existed there without Danijela and my children.

I remember so clearly that day at the airport, I think we both had tears in our eyes, though we were both trying very hard not to cry in front of the other. He grasped my hand firmly and he said, "We only part, to meet again." He then kissed me on each cheek before pulling me to him in a tight hug. I think I knew then, without his saying it, that no matter what decisions I made in life, my father would always stand with me, and nothing seemed more important then that in those final moments before we parted ways.

No comments: