Thursday, August 16, 2007

Prompt 21A: Were you forced into your current path, or are you there by choice?/Canon Muses

I don't know how old I was when I decided I wanted to go into medicine, but, I think I always knew that I wanted to help people and I know that what I learned from my parents had to influence that. 

My mother was a very religious person, actually both of my parents were, but, my mother more than my father.  When she wasn't taking care of my brother and I, or looking after my grandparents or my father, my mother was helping those within the church less fortunate then we were.  I'm not saying we were rich, we never were, but, we never wanted for the necessities and my mother knew how to make the most with what little there was, and still find a way to make something extra for a family she'd heard was in need. 

My father was a train engineer, when my brother and I were young he would let us go on the train with him. We were so proud of him, knowing that everyone on the train depended on him to not just get them where they needed to go on time, but for their safety as well.

As I grew older I couldn't help but learn from the lessons they taught us, and when it came time for me to choose a career, medicine seemed a perfect way to put everything into practice.  I've never regretted my choice, and I can't think of a better way to honor them than by being the best doctor I can be.

 


 

No comments: