Saturday, September 2, 2006

Reflections in the Rain

1. Reflections in the Rain Prompt: Picture 004
2. Character: Luka Kovac
3. Warnings: tissue alert
4. Pairings: n/a
5. Your character's fandom: ER
6. Word count: 278
7. Rating: PG
8. Disclaimer: Goran Visnjic's image and the character of Luka Kovac of ER are not mine. No copyright infringement is intended with their use, they are for entertainment/writing purposes only.

So many lost people...I don't know how I didn't realize it before.  I saw them every day, but I didn't really <i>see</i> them.  It didn't matter where I was, at work, going back and forth between there and the apartment, going to the market or to get water.  I see them now only because I've become one of them too. Ghosts, shadows, it doesn't matter what you call them, it's just the realization that they were invisible to me until that day, that moment when my life touched theirs.

I've lost count of the number of times in a day when I find myself losing time because my thoughts have drifted off to places that are no longer part of my life.  Of the moments when a scent or a sound can call forth a memory of something that will take me away to a place other than where I really am. 

Today is one of those days and I see it in the faces of others like me as I pass them on the street.  Where have you gone baka?  Have you returned to the day you met your husband?  To the day you married? Does the puddle that reflects your past offer you a window to a world you could only hope to find again in your dreams?  Is there a puddle here that will do the same for me as well?

I pull myself away from the old woman with great effort, knowing I have to move on.   When in truth, I want nothing more than to stay at her side, in hopes that I might find the images of my family in the water's reflection as she seems to have found hers.

 

No comments: