Saturday, July 15, 2006

Snapped 1.14/Realm of the Muse Challenge

You've finally snapped. Stress has gotten the better of you, and you can no longer think in long descriptive sentences. Write about the day you lost your mind, using sentences comprised of six words or fewer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I failed them.  All my training, wasted. Oh, God, Jasna, my baby boy, my wife.  I was too late. 

There was a mortar, oh God.  I wasn't gone that long. They should have been safe.  Why didn't I let them come?  Marko was the first to die.  My baby boy, why?  Buried under debris, trapped.  Forgive me for not being there. 

Danijela and Jasna were spared that.  They were alive when I found them. There was no one to help.  I begged God to spare them.   Jasna, she couldn't breathe.  I could have saved her.  I should have saved her.  Taken her to the hospital.  How could I leave Danijela?  How could I leave my wife?  I couldn't leave one behind.  I couldn't leave my baby boy.  I screamed for help.  Kept breathing for Jasna.  No one came.  Then, Danijela was gone too. 

I had to fight for Jasna.  I had to save my daughter.  She was all I had left.  The smoke and dust became worse.  I couldn't catch my breath.  But, how could I stop? She would die if I did.  I was exhausted.  I had to catch my breath.  I couldn't think, had to rest.  Jasna was gone in minutes.  I'd let her die.  I'd killed her, just for sleep.  I was alone with their bodies. 

I begged for another mortar. Pleaded to be with my family. Pleaded with God for death. He ignored me, ignored them.  Why couldn't he take me too?  My life was over.

No comments: