Saturday, June 17, 2006

RotM/ Challenge:Ask an old person you know about their favorite dance?

Luka couldn't exactly say what had prompted his decision to call his father though he'd found himself doing so more and more since he had learned he would once more be a father.  For the first time in too long there was a part of him that was nudging him to return home for a visit, and it had led to his father's tempting him with talk of what he was missing.

"Luka..it's not too late."  The older Kovac's words came in his native tongue and Luka comfortably returned to it.

"Too late for what, Tata?"  He settled onto the couch as the conversation progressed, a smile breaking.

"The Brodsko kolo...you always loved to watch the dancers.  Think of it Luka, you could come back, it'd be like the old times when Mama would make us take her."  His voice held a hint of longing to reclaim some of the past that was no more.

"Tata..that's not fair, besides, it was your favorite too."  He found himself laughing without intending too.

"Think of the food, Luka...the wheel dancing...the tamburitza...the drink?"  The old man persisted, whittling his son down with too familiar references.

"I can't say I don't miss it, and I would love to see it again, it's just that I'm not sure I could get away now what with work and Abby's pregnancy."  He rubbed his brow with his fingertips as he realized the obstacles that he was up against in making an unplanned trip.

"Think about it, Luka...the summer festivals are just beginning, in Split, Zagreb, it's been too long."  Accepting that his son was not going to allow himself to be forced into a decision the man backed off slightly.

"I will, tata, I should go now though.  I miss you."

"I miss you too, Luka, you take care of yourself." Luka's father surrendered the end of the call to his son.

"I will, I love you, tata, I'll call again soon."

"I love you too, Luka."

Even as he heard the click and then the dialtone, Luka didn't immediately return the phone to the cradle.  His father was right, he had found himself missing the connections to his past more and more, maybe it was time to go back for a visit, he'd like for Abby to experience some of what his life had been like before he'd come to the States.  He replaced the phone in the cradle, it was something to consider.

 

 

No comments: