Friday, March 28, 2008

Prompt 6.2 Young love/Couples Therapy

When Abby and I broke up the first time we were together, she said I was married to a ghost, and in some ways I suppose she was right, maybe she's still right, even after all these years.

Danijela and I met when I was 18 and she was barely 16.  For me, it was love at first sight, though I have to confess that it took me better then a week to work up the courage to even talk to her. As we discovered our shared interests, what I had known from the start, soon became clear to her as well, and we knew that marriage was the inevitable next step for us. Because of her age, we waited two years to marry, and because she was very religious, we were both virgins when we consummated our vows on our wedding night. I'm not sure what I expected married life to be like, but, I know that I will always treasure that handful of years I had with Danijela for what they gave to me.  In the five years we shared as man and wife, I felt as if I had discovered a piece of myself that I had not until that time known I was missing. We were two halves of the same coin and if we thought we were happy when it was just the two of us, we became ecstatic when we welcomed first our daughter, Jasna, and then three years later our son, Marko. 

They always say that good things never last, and I wish I could say I had proof that it wasn't true, but, the fact is, that God must have decided that we were far too happy and in a moment of spite he stole everything that gave me joy away from me.  On that winter's day in 1991, when that mortar struck our apartment, our son died instantly, only I escaped unharmed as I'd been out to the market.  Arriving home, I found my baby boy buried in the rubble of what had been our happy home. I found my wife and daughter barely clinging to life, and over the long hours that followed I watched both of them die as well. Far more died on that winter day in 1991 then just my family though, for I'd begged God it intercede, I screamed until my throat was raw for someone, anyone to come to our aid, and no one came.  I lost my family that day, but, I also lost my faith, I lost my reason for living, and for far too many years I was sure I would never find any of them again.

 

No comments: