Sunday, May 6, 2007

177/Who has made you smile recently?/Theatrical Muse

I love her, and all I need to do is look at her and I can't help but smile.  She's everything to me now, my wife, the mother of my son, and without her, and all she has given me back I am nothing.

Abby and I have come so far in the eight years we have known each other.  From the first kiss she stole from me outside in the ambulance bay, to our decision to finally walk down the aisle, a walk that ensures that we will grow old together, she found a way to complete me.

I can't help but think of all we have been through on the road to reaching this place.  The tears that were shed, the words spoken in anger that could never be called back, the long hours in the NICU as we worried over whether Joe would live or die, that fateful night with Curtis Ames. Maybe we needed those times to show us just how strong our love was, if we could survive things as devastating as what we were forced to overcome we had to know we could survive anything.

I look at Abby now and all I see on her face is joy and happiness, and I wonder how I could ever have told her she couldn't know how to be happy. I can't say for sure who is responsible for giving us this second chance, for giving us Joe, and the life we'll have with him.  I do know that this is the life I was afraid I would never know, but it's here and every moment I'm with Abby and Joe is one that brings a smile to my face, and I can't think of anything more perfect then that.

No comments: